Progress Notes



Joe Pryor - News Tribune Article Monday, June 04, 2007


Monday, March 3, 2008

Progress Notes

Robert Melville Marshall (photo 01) was one of the most outstanding citizens of Tuscumbia during the late 1800's when it was the hub of activity of Miller County due to the commerce brought by river navigation as well as being the county seat. We already have on our website under the heading "River Navigation" interesting information about Captain Bob Marshall's role in Osage River commerce which you can read at the following web address:
http://www.millercountymuseum.org/rivernav.html

01 Bob Marshall
01 Bob Marshall

Because he contributed such an important role to river navigation and commerce as well as serving as a committed community leader in Tuscumbia, I thought it would be good to add to our website additional information about his life. I have come across two newspaper interviews with Captain Marshall published during the middle of the last century in which he offered extensive quotes and first person accounts of significant interest that I thought should be made a part of the historical record of our website. These articles were from the St. Louis Globe-Democrat (January 8, 1950) and the Eldon Advertiser (September 29, 1949). Also, I have been sent several photographs of Captain Marshall by Mike Wieneman which I had not seen before Mike sent them. Some but not all I recently placed on this page but with this narrative I will upload all the photos I have pertaining to his life and career. First, as usual, I would like to present the very interesting biography of Captain Marshall written by our much valued historian, Peggy Hake (photo 02 of bio).

02 Bob Marshall Bio by Peggy Hake
02 Bob Marshall Bio by Peggy Hake
Click on image for larger PDF version

In Peggy's biography she mentioned Captain Marshall's father, David Marshall. The following is an old obituary from a local newspaper of the time concerning the death of Captain Marshall's father (I do not know the exact newspaper in which this obituary was printed. - Photo 03 of obituary)

03 David Marshall Obituary
03 David Marshall Obituary
Click on image for larger PDF version

The first of the two interviews of Captain Marshall I mentioned above is presented here:

Full Head of Steam On The Osage
Clark Vernon
St. Louis Globe Democrat - January 8, 1950

No longer can sharp blasts from steamboat whistles be heard echoing along the Osage River, as the steamers belched black smoke carrying their heavy cargo to the important river ports.

There are few old stern wheeler pilots living to relate their experiences navigating the treacherous waters which once provided a thriving trade. But this Miller County seat possesses such a citizen who made history on the Osage, Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.

He is Captain Robert M. Marshall, who, at the age of 91, recalls incidents that would make stories in which Mark Twain would revel. And what a memory he has. It extends back to the Civil War; to the days when the Indians inhabited Missouri; to Jesse and Frank James and the Younger brothers; and to President Lincoln's funeral. These are only a few of the subjects youngsters plead for Captain Marshall to turn into stories. But the old Captain's chief interest is in the tales of steam boating---the lingo he knows best. Generally he is known here as "Uncle Bob"-a salutation signifying endearment among friends, the respect he has won for his contributions to Tuscumbia's progress, and the esteem of youngsters who share his interest in the navigation thrills of yesteryear.

A man of short, stocky build, Captain Marshall is a droll little fellow and, as Tuscumbia folks will tell you, he's as spry as a youngster of 70 (photo 04).

04 Bob Marshall
04 Bob Marshall

His thatch of silvery hair is thinning and his short white whiskers bob up and down as he relates the conditions of Missouri before its modernization---when daily wages were 35 to 50 cents; when deer and wild turkeys were plentiful; and when shoes could be purchased for $1.55 a pair, although you had no choice of style. Cornbread and bacon was the basic meal. Coffee was made from parched wheat and sweetened with molasses.

Captain Marshall was born in Chicago in 1858, of parents of Scottish descent. Mention of the family brings an instant reply: "My Scotch inheritance might have been helpful in my river trades."

He learned the Printer's trade but being a lad with a yen for adventure found this too confining. He came to Missouri at the age of 12, a few years after attending President Lincoln's funeral, and made his home at Tuscumbia.

As a young man in 1883 (photo 04a) he bought a half interest in a 100 foot sternwheeler, the Frederick (photo 05), after quitting his position as clerk in a Tuscumbia store.

04a Bob Marshall as a young man
04a Bob Marshall as a young man

05 Frederick on the Osage
05 Frederick on the Osage

He purchased the John R. Hugo (photo 06), an Ohio River boat, just five years later and hauled freight and general merchandise over the rivers that today teem with memories of water traffic.

06 John R. Hugo owned by Bob Marshall
06 John R. Hugo owned by Bob Marshall

For more than 15 years Captain Bob operated steamboats. Perhaps his most profitable trade was hauling wheat from the lower Osage River. He recalls transporting more than 200,000 sacks of the grain one year to the Missouri Pacific Railroad station at Osage City.

Among the early contracts he accepted were one to deliver 1,000,000 feet of lumber to the Sullivan saddletree factory and another to deliver 2000 cords of wood yearly to the State Prison at Jefferson City at the rate of $2.55 per cord. The total of $5700 that the old skipper grossed each year for the wood alone was big money back in the days of low prices. (Today, this wood would sell for about $20,000.)

However, steam boating was not all milk and honey; its days were 24 hour propositions, with sandbars and hazardous obstacles lurking under the river's surface to damage the boat in the hands of an unskilled pilot.

"Knowing the rivers" was necessary, and Captain Bob knew them. Perhaps his most pernicious accident occurred one stormy night when the Hugo was approaching a railroad bridge over the river at Osage City (photo 07 Osage City Bridge).

07 Osage City Bridge
07 Osage City Bridge

He signaled with the steamer's whistle for a section of the bridge to be raised to permit passage of the tall smoke stacks. Although the railroad men returned a signal that the bridge was raised, the dark night made it impossible for the Captain to confirm their reply. When he wheeled the Hugo into what he thought was the open section, there was a crash, and flames encompassed the pilot house after the smoke stacks were torn off. Ashore, spectators were near hysteria, thinking the steamer was sinking with its crew. But the Hugo was only damaged and continued its duty on the rivers after a few repairs. Captain Marshall never had a boat sink with him, and you can be sure he's proud of this record.

Can you picture central Missouri back in the nineteenth century? The old captain can and he's glad to establish the picture in your mind. Jefferson City (photo 08) was a town of about 5000 persons a few years after he came here, with a grocery store, a few buildings and cornfields standing where now are the congested business district.

08 Jefferson City Downtown - Early 1900's
08 Jefferson City Downtown - Early 1900's

An unpainted hotel was opposite the spot where the Central Missouri Trust building is located today and, in place of the Exchange National Bank was a dilapidated one story saloon with gambling tables much like those seen in Western thrillers. Later, the Captain hauled gravel from the river, which was used to transform the main street from a murky thoroughfare.

Little did people realize that modern excavating equipment and heavy machinery would convert a broad expanse of the Osage River into one of Missouri's largest power generators---Bagnell Dam at Lake of the Ozarks. The smaller towns of the state had not yet risen from the wilderness, and many farms were yet being ravaged by Civil War bushwhackers.

The captain married Miss Emma Hauenstein (photo 09) of Tuscumbia on December 15, 1881. The ceremony, held in the same house where they now live (photo 10), was performed by Reverend Hardy, a Methodist minister from California, Mo., who made the 30 mile trip by horseback.

09 Bob and Emma (Hauenstein) Marshall
09 Bob and Emma (Hauenstein) Marshall

 

10 Emma Hauenstein, William Henry Hauenstein Sr. & Robert Marshall
10 Emma Hauenstein, William Henry Hauenstein Sr. & Robert Marshall

The Marshalls are now one of Missouri's oldest living couples, having observed their sixty eighth wedding anniversary quietly at their home last month. Mrs. Marshall's two piece beige bridal dress of alpaca trimmed with satin ribbon and the Captain's black wool suit with swallow tail coat are among their prized possessions.

Captain Bob secured a heavy freighting business by aligning himself with the Missouri Pacific Railroad. An agreement was made whereby he was to deliver all of his freight from the Osage River to the company at Osage City and in return the railroad was to deliver all Osage River freight to his boat.

Competition was great between railroads and steamboats and he was given authority by the railroad to make the railroad freight rate from St. Louis and Kansas City to Osage City.

Once when he went to Kansas City after two carloads of machinery, he asked the agent to quote a rate to Osage City. "Fifty five cents is the best we can do," was the reply. The old skipper calmly suggested it be reduced to twelve and one half cents and the agent was stunned at such an offer. But it was settled when the Captain told him to contact the general freight agent in St. Louis. The answer was to lower the rate to Captain Bob's figure.

For six years he worked on the Missouri River for the government, towing barges to St. Joseph, Omaha, Council Bluffs, Nebraska City and Plattesmouth. He started this work when the heavy draft of government boats made it difficult to tow barges over shallow sections of the river. Captain Bob told them the Hugo could get over the shallow places, so they employed him and the boat.

The craft had a capacity of 2500 sacks of wheat and, with its barge, the Jumbo, its capacity was doubled, making an equivalent of 16,000 bushels of wheat he could haul at one trip. The government agreed to pay him $40 per day, rain or shine, and to supply the pilot, deck hands and fuel. He accepted their contract after calculating that he would net $25 per day.

His health failed as the result of the long hours on duty and, in 1898, he was forced to retire, although the government asked him to continue working if possible. After an extended visit to Europe, Captain and Mrs. Marshall returned here and Captain Bob, taking an interest in civic problems, contributed much to Tuscumbia's progress in the years that followed. In 1902, he organized the Bank of Tuscumbia (photo 11) and served as its president for several years.

11 Robert Marshall and Fred Fendorf
11 Robert Marshall and Fred Fendorf

Seeing a need for a bridge here, he received approval from the War Department on September 21, 1902, of his plans for a wire suspension bridge over the Osage River just below Tuscumbia. When the bridge was completed, under his supervision, it had a channel span of 68 feet above low water, 32 feet above high water and a horizontal width of 604 feet (photo 12).

12 Suspension Bridge at Tuscumbia 1905 - 1934
12 Suspension Bridge at Tuscumbia 1905 - 1934

The brick courthouse, located on top of a hill in Tuscumbia overlooking the river, next caught the eye of the old Captain. This structure was built it 1858 to replace the old log cabin courthouse (photo 13).

13 2nd Old Courthouse
13 2nd Old Courthouse

Captain Bob led the campaign for a better building and the present stone courthouse was completed in 1910 and is now a Miller County landmark (photo 14).

14 Miller County Courthouse
14 Miller County Courthouse

As might be expected, Captain Bobs two story frame home is perched on a knoll beside the Osage River near the Tuscumbia Riverside Park. The den on the upper floor is his favorite room, and there he is surrounded by photographs and souvenirs to remind him of the thrills of steam boating.


The next interview is from the Eldon Advertiser:

Eldon Advertiser September 9, 1949

The river boats no longer ply along the Osage. Bagnell, Warsaw, Osage City, and such places are not the important river ports that they once were. No longer do the old sternwheelers race each other into port, the high banks of the Osage echoing their sharp whistle blasts and the shouts of their crews. But there was a time when a thriving trade was carried on by steamers plying along the Missouri and the Osage River. This has changed and now there are few men left who helped to carry on this trade.

Of these few there is one man who is well qualified to speak out on river boating in the old days. This is Captain R.M. Marshall---Captain Bob as he is affectionately called around Tuscumbia, Mo., where the 90 year old former steamboat captain lives. Naturally enough his home is built on a hill near the banks of the Osage River and there is an unobstructed view of the river.

Captain Marshall will celebrate his 91st birthday October 9, 1949.

In the 80's and 90's perhaps there was not a better known steamboat skipper along the Osage (photo 15 of young Captain Marshall). Operating and piloting the Hugo, Captain Marshall also owned another steamboat, the Frederick.

15 Young Captain Marshall
15 Young Captain Marshall

For more than 15 years he operated the boats, hauling freight merchandise, salt, railroad ties, and wheat on the two rivers.

Born in Chicago in 1858, Captain Marshall lived for a time in that city. When a boy he learned the printer's trade, but found it too confining.

So in 1870 he came to Tuscumbia, Mo. on the banks of the Osage River. Here he tried clerking in a store for a few years. Then in 1883, he bought a half interest in the Frederick. The Frederick had been built the year before by a Tuscumbia merchant to haul freight from Osage City to Tuscumbia and to take produce to Osage City, where the railroad was located. Built on the Osage River bank, near Tuscumbia, the Frederick was 100 feet long and 14 feet wide. It was a stern wheeler.

Captain Marshall did a thriving business with the Frederick and the Hugo. This latter vessel had been used on the Ohio River. It was 127 feet long, but while making repairs on it, Captain Marshall decided to increase the length to 141 feet.

In addition to the two steamboats he had a large barge, the Jumbo.

With the two boats he was able to haul more than 200,000 sacks of wheat yearly. One year the Hugo delivered 115,000 sacks of wheat to the Missouri-Pacific Railroad station at Osage City, while the Frederick hauled 90,000 in that same year.

In fact, hauling wheat from the lower Osage River was a good business for Captain Marshall, perhaps the best of al the trade. He was becoming quite a successful business man (photo 15a)!

15a Bob Marshall
15a Bob Marshall

However, it was not all milk and honey for the river boat captain. The waters of the Missouri and the Osage were treacherous and difficult to navigate. Many sandbars made steaming a hazard.

In those earlier days, of course, there were no electric lights on the steamboats that plied the rivers, and many were the dangers that this caused.

One stormy night when Captain Marshall was approaching Osage City aboard the Hugo, he had a bad experience. At Osage City it was the practice for a steamer to whistle so that a section of the railroad bridge could be raised in order to permit the boat's passage. On this night Captain Marshall signaled to the men in charge to open the bridge. However, as he approached it, he did not think that it had been opened. The railroad men replied that they thought it was open and clear. As the night was dark and there were no lights on the bridge, it was impossible for Captain Marshall to tell whether this was true. However, he headed for what he thought was the open section. Suddenly, the Hugo plowed into the upper section of the bridge. The smoke stacks were torn off and flame surrounded the pilot house.

Along the shore people were shouting and milling around, trying to get help to save the crew of the Hugo, as they thought that the craft was sinking. Here again the people on shore were mistaken for the Hugo was damaged but it was never in danger of sinking.

The steamboat day was 24 hours long, and sometimes Captain Bob would have to stay up for as long as two days and two nights at a stretch. And this would occur while navigating through the narrow and often shallow waters of the Osage. During these long watches he often had a crewman stand beside him with rags soaked in cold water. At times he would give crewmen orders to speak to him every five minutes.

Another way that he used to keep himself awake during these long watches was by holding a pipe or pencil between his teeth. If he dropped off to sleep the pencil would fall to the deck, and its clatter would awaken Captain Bob.

Once the Hugo was stuck on a sandbar for nine days. This was with a load of 5000 sacks of wheat and some livestock.

Another time the boat was hung on a sandbar near Atchison, Kansas. This was on the Missouri River about 60 miles northwest of Kansas City. Finally, the crew managed to float the steamboat.

Sometimes the skipper would have trouble with the crews during times like these. Most of the crews were obedient, but once in a while they would refuse to obey the captain of the boat. Most of these river boats carried Negro crews, but sometimes it was necessary to hire white crews. However, the white crews could not perform the hard work in the hot sun that the Negroes were able to do. This was brought home sharply to Captain Marshall on one occasion.

Once when he was unable to get a Negro crew, Captain Marshall hired a crew of white boys at Tuscumbia. They did well at the start. However, the steamer stopped at several points along the Osage to pick up sacks of grain. By the time they reached a particularly shallow section of the river known as Shipley shoals, the Hugo had 4700 sacks of cargo aboard. The water level of the river was falling rapidly and the water here was shallow. The Hugo stuck fast, and all of the cargo had to be transferred to Captain Marshall's other steamboat, the Frederick. Loaded onto the other boat in small numbers the sacks were taken below the stretch of shallow water where they were taken to shore. Here, they had to be carried by hand and stacked on the banks. This was back breaking work, but it did the job. As soon as the Steamer Hugo had been relieved of the cargo it was able to float and the shoals were negotiated without any further trouble. But when the boat came within sight of the pile of 4700 sacks on the bank of the Osage, the crewmen decided that they had had enough. They wanted no part of carrying the sacks back aboard the Hugo. To a man they demanded their pay and quit upon the spot. Captain Marshall paid off the crew and the men walked back to their homes in Tuscumbia even thought it was 58 miles away. The engineer, foreman and cook were expected to work as roustabouts in emergencies but Captain Bob waived the rule in this instance. Instead, he took the Hugo down the river to Osage City where he hired a reliable crew of Negroes. It did not take them long to reload the Hugo and soon the steamboat was on its way.

In spite of all the difficulties of the river trade it was a profitable one, and Captain Bob Marshall prospered. He says that one of the reasons he took up boating on the rivers is because he is a Scotchman. This nationality stood him in good stead when he had to make deals along the river.

Thus it was not long before he was able to make a very good deal. This was an agreement with the Missouri Pacific to haul freight from their station at Osage City to points along the Osage River and the Missouri. By the terms of this agreement, Captain Marshall received all the freight from the railroad and the Missouri Pacific got all of his cargoes.

In those days there was as yet no law to restrict the railroad freight rates. The Missouri Pacific gave Captain Marshall the authority to set the freight rate for the railroad between Kansas City and Osage City, and between St. Louis and Osage City.

Captain Marshall made many agreements with the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company in those days and he says that there never was any violation of these agreements by the railroad.

Once he went to Kansas City to haul two carloads of machinery for the railroad. At Kansas City the agent quoted him a rate of 52 cents which Captain Marshall considered a bit high. He suggested that the rate by changed to 12 cents, but this the agent refused to do. However, he called the general freight agent at St. Louis and received the word that Captain Marshall had authority to change the rate. It was changed.

Later, in the 1890's Captain Marshall made a contract with the government to haul housing equipment for the Army. This also proved a very profitable venture for the steamboat skipper. He made many trips along the "Broad Missouri" towing housing material.

Captain Marshall remembers many tales of exciting happenings during his days of operating boats along the two rivers. A good one concerns a river pilot who would not take the skipper's advice. Taken on below Osage City this pilot was attempting to back the boat. Captain Marshall had advised him to use a bridle, a rope device designed to keep the rudder straight while backing. Loops fastened to stanchions in the deck were passed over the spokes of the pilot wheel which was nine and a half feet in diameter. The pilot scorned the bridle and placed on foot upon a spoke of the huge wheel to hold it steady as he backed. Captain Marshall was not in the pilot house at the time. Suddenly he heard a crash in the pilot house and shortly afterward a member of the crew ran in and told him that there had been an accident in the pilot house. The skipper reached the pilot house on the double. When he entered he found the pilot hanging by his head from the overhead or roof. He had on a high hard hat and this had been jammed down tight over his head. He had been thrown by the twisting wheel and his head complete with hard hat, was jammed into a small window in the overhead. Captain Marshall pushed him aside and righted the wheel placing the much needed bridle on it thereby taking the tension off the pilot so that he could be pulled down from the window, although certainly not without having suffered some painful injuries.

In 1898 Captain Marshall's health became poor and he had to retire from boating on the river. The rough work and continuous hours of going without the normal amount of sleep had begun to tell. During these last few years on the river he had been doing much work for the government and their officials wanted him to continue, however, his health would not permit it.

Two years later, in 1900, Captain and Mrs. Marshall took a trip to Europe. He wanted to see Scotland particularly because his people had come from that country. It was one of the most pleasant visits during his trip. They also visited England, France, and Holland. The winter of 1900 they spent in Germany near the Rhine. This was the locality from which Mrs. Marshall's people, the Hauensteins, had come.

When the Marshalls returned to the Osage they lived in Tuscumbia. Captain Bob then went into business. He organized the Bank of Tuscumbia in 1902 (photo 16). It was a success and he was president of the bank for many years.

16 Bank of Tuscumbia
16 Bank of Tuscumbia

Two years after he organized the bank, Captain Marshall organized a bridge company and later superintended the building of a wire suspension bridge across the Osage River at a point not far below Tuscumbia (see photo 12 above).

However, some of Captain Marshall's most exciting and interesting days were spent as a skipper in the river trade, and it would not do to forget some of the happenings in those times.

"One thing that made the river trade so important was the great need for it," the old skipper, now 90 years old, says. "The people depended upon it for supplies and to get their crops out. When we first started there were no railroads to do this so it all depended on the river boats."

In fact these rivers were used as avenues of communication for many years before the steamboats came. Where Bagnell Dam and the Lake of the Ozarks now are, the Osage River once flowed. Even before the white man came to this country Indians paddled their canoes up and down the Osage River. The Lake region was once inhabited by powerful Osage tribes and many of them used the river as a road.

When white men came to what is now Missouri they traveled along the Osage. Early French explorers pushed up the river in Indian canoes. Later the flat boat came into being and this was an important change since it meant that larger cargoes could be carried by the settlers.

Captain Bob recalls one race with a St. Louis boat. This happened on the Osage River and was a close affair. The St. Louis boat was faster and bigger, but Captain Bob knew the river better. Where the water was deep and the channel wide the St. Louis steamboat would gain on the Hugo, but when the channel narrowed down and the water became shallower the advantage was all with Captain Bob.

The race continued like this for the 25 miles to Osage City. When they were within five miles of that town Captain Bob blew his whistle for the bridge to open. It opened and Captain Bob's Hugo went through just ahead of the St. Louis boat.

The former steamboat captain likes to talk about the old days along the river. To us today this is just an interesting phase of the country's history, but it must have been an exciting one. In fact, a talk with Captain Bob Marshall would convince anyone that steam boating on the river would be worth taking a crack at. It is too bad that this mode of travel and commerce, so romantic and adventurous, can only be imagined today as we look upon the beautiful Osage River, which continues to wind its way to the Missouri as it has for thousands and thousands of years.


As noted above, after Captain Marshall sold his steamboats he started the Bank of Tuscumbia in 1902. After thirty years of banking he spent his retirement years in Tuscumbia living in the same house in which he was married. In 1931 he celebrated his fiftieth wedding anniversary with his wife, Emma Hauenstein, daughter of William Hauenstein Sr. This celebration was quite an affair being attended by nearly one hundred friends and relatives. Copied below is the Autogram article giving the details of the event. Many Tuscumbians will recognize the names of some of their relatives from long ago (photo 17).

17 Marshall Golden Wedding
17 Marshall Golden Wedding
Click image for larger PDF version

One of the enduring reminders of Captain Marshall is the sign at the entrance to the road to the ball park in Tuscumbia the land of which was donated by Captain Bob (photo 18 and photo 18a).

18 Captain Marshall Field Sign
18 Captain Marshall Field Sign

 

18a Marshall Field
18a Marshall Field

Quite a few people are still living who remember Bob Marshall… for one reason because he lived so long. My mother, who was raised in a home very close to the Marshalls in the Goosebottom area of Tuscumbia, remembers Captain Bob always took a walk every morning up to town to the post office. He was a quiet and reflective person and not prone to verbal excess during his later years according to her. Although his "Bank of Tuscumbia" no longer carries that particular name having been purchased by Central Bank years ago, the bank has been very respectful in remembering Captain Marshall as its founder in Tuscumbia; you will find hanging on the wall in the bank a large photo of the Captain looking down eagerly awaiting his friends and customers for the day. You may remember reading in one of the articles above that Captain Marshall spent the first few years of his life in Chicago where he was born and that he attended the funeral of Abraham Lincoln with his father. I think it is amazing that my mother (as well as quite a few other people today) knew someone who would have attended Lincoln's funeral.

Bamber Wright (photo 19) is one of our historical society members whose grandfather, William Hauenstein Jr., was a brother in law of Bob Marshall, since Captain Bob had married William's sister, Emma Hauenstein.

19 Bamber Wright - June 13, 2007
19 Bamber Wright - June 13, 2007

Bamber's great grandfather, William Hauenstein Sr., was the one who had built the house in which the Marshalls lived. Bamber said that the senior Hauenstein spent the last few years of his life living with the Marshalls. William Hauenstein Sr., Bamber's great grandfather, died before he was born so he never met him. However, Bamber was raised in the home next door to the Marshalls where his parents, Homer Lee and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Hauenstein Wright, lived. This home (photo 20) was built by Bamber's grandfather, William Hauenstein Jr. who also lived there.

20 W.H. Hauenstein Home
20 W.H. Hauenstein Home

Because of the proximity, Bamber says he was in the Marshall home about every day. At this time, Captain Bob, who was Bamber's great uncle, had retired. Bamber remembered that his uncle Bob spent a lot of time in an upstairs room which had a large library connected to the Marshalls' master bedroom. When he was older and in high school, Bamber says that everyday he would go upstairs to the library and read the "Jefferson City paper" while his uncle Bob took a nap.

Bamber remembered that his uncle Bob usually dined alone. He wasn't sure, but he thinks this was because in his later years, Captain Bob had a tremor and this may have caused him some difficulty with his eating utensils, for which reason he preferred to be unobserved while dining.

Often times, Uncle Bob would be found in the late afternoon of a warm spring day sitting on the large wrap around porch of his home. Bamber remembers that frequently he would spend time sitting with Uncle Bob on the porch conversing.

Bamber says that Uncle Bob was one of the first in town to have a motor car. During Bamber's childhood, the car was usually a Buick. However, the last car the Marshalls bought was a 1942 Dodge. Sometimes Uncle Bob would let Bamber chauffeur him in the car to visit his farms along the river. Bamber says he was the only one besides Uncle Bob who ever drove it. Emma, Uncle Bob's wife, and their maid, Viola Scrimmager, sometimes would make a trip to Jefferson City to shop as well as visit Emma's nephew, Dr. Will Sone, who was a dentist. Uncle Bob would go to the barn (which was built close to the river bank in what is now the city park) to get the car and would park it in front of the house and start honking the horn. Bamber wondered if that urge to honk the horn came from Captain Marshall's time as a river boat captain when he would blow the whistle frequently as he traveled up and down the river.

Dr. Sone's mother, Carolyn, was Emma's sister. Unfortunately, she died during childbirth so Dr. Sone never knew her. Informally, Carolyn was known as "Lena." Bamber says that name really was a shortened form of the German form of Carolyn, Karoline, and was probably used since her father, William Hauenstein Sr., was from Germany. Bamber says that Will's father had been sheriff of Cole County and the story was told that he and Will's mother actually eloped using a ladder to reach the second story of the house to allow Lena to leave unnoticed.

In his later years, shortly before his death, Captain Marshall, according to Bamber, moved to Eldon to live with his niece, Vivian Fogleman Caldwell. Vivian was the daughter of John and Augusta (Hauenstein) Fogleman (photo 21 and photo 22). Augusta was a sister to Emma, Captain Bob's wife.

21 John Wilson Fogleman - b. 1851
21 John Wilson Fogleman - b. 1851

 

22 Augusta Hauenstein Fogleman - Early 30's - Mother of Vivian Fogleman Caldwell
22 Augusta Hauenstein Fogleman - Early 30's - Mother of Vivian Fogleman Caldwell

Finally, for completeness, here are the obituaries of Captain Robert Marshall and his wife Emma Hauenstein Marshall:

Miller Co. Autogram
September 9, 1954
Steamboat pilot, Robert Marshall, Dies Wednesday

(September 8, 1954)

A former Osage River steamboat captain and prominent Tuscumbia citizen, Robert M. "Uncle Bob" Marshall, 95, died Wednesday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles M. Caldwell in Eldon.

Mr. Marshall spent 20 years on the Osage River as a steamboat pilot and became known as "Captain" on his numerous river trips. He was manager of the Osage and Missouri River Packet Co.

Until his retirement in 1932, he was president of the Bank of Tuscumbia. He also had been president of the Anchor Milling Co. at Tuscumbia and was a member of a group which promoted the building of the first bridge across the Osage near Tuscumbia. The Riverside Park property was donated by Captain Marshall.

"Uncle Bob" was born on Oct. 9, 1858 at Aurora, Illinois. He moved to Miller County in 1870 and settled at Tuscumbia with his parents. He attended school there and worked as a printer before steam boating became his trade.

He has resided with Mr. and Mrs. Caldwell for approximately four years. Funeral services will be at 2 p. m. on Friday at the Tuscumbia Presbyterian Church under the direction of Phillips Funeral Service.


Miller Co. Autogram
July 20, 1950

Mrs. Emma A. Marshall, 90, last surviving member of one of Miller county's pioneer families died at the family home in Tuscumbia, July 12th, 1950 after a lingering illness. She had been an invalid for the past three years.

Funeral Services were conducted at the Presbyterian Church in Tuscumbia, Thursday afternoon at 2: 00 o'clock by the pastor, Rev. James Duncan. Burial was in the family lot at the Tuscumbia Cemetery under direction of Phillips Funeral Service.

Born at Newport, Michigan, February 9, 1860, Mrs. Marshall was the daughter of William H. Hauenstein, Sr. and Elizabeth Hauenstein. In 1865, she moved with the family to Tuscumbia where she lived until her death.

On December 15, 1884, she was married to Capt. R. M. Marshall at the family home where they have since resided.

She was one of a family of six children, all of whom preceded her in death. They were William H. Hauenstein and Phillip F. Hauenstein, brothers; and Augusta Fogleman, Lena Sone and Elizabeth Hauenstein, sisters. She was also preceded in death by Miss Viola Scrimager, who made her home with the Marshall family for 45 years.

Mrs. Marshall became a member of the Tuscumbia Presbyterian church November 20, 1889. Until illness prevented, she devoted much of her time to the church and community affairs.

Besides her husband, Capt. Marshall, she is survived by several nieces and nephews.


We are looking forward to hosting the Leadership Miller County group this next Thursday, March 6 for a luncheon and tour of the museum. The organization was created by Miller County leaders along with the Eldon Chamber of Commerce, Lake Area Chamber of Commerce and the University of Missouri Extension to encourage and motivate citizens of Miller County to become involved in community affairs by improving the skills they require to assume leadership responsibilities for the betterment of the community. For more information about this group you can call the extension office located at Tuscumbia at 573 369 2394, email: millerco@missouri.edu, or visit their website at: http://extension.missouri.edu/miller

That concludes this week's Progress Notes.

Joe Pryor



President's Message of 02-25-2008
President's Message of 02-18-2008
President's Message of 02-11-2008
President's Message of 02-04-2008
President's Message of 01-28-2008
President's Message of 01-21-2008
President's Message of 01-14-2008
President's Message of 01-07-2008
President's Message of 12-31-2007
President's Message of 12-24-2007
President's Message of 12-17-2007
President's Message of 12-10-2007
President's Message of 12-03-2007
President's Message of 11-26-2007
President's Message of 11-19-2007
President's Message of 11-12-2007
President's Message of 11-05-2007
President's Message of 10-29-2007
President's Message of 10-22-2007
President's Message of 10-15-2007
President's Message of 10-08-2007
President's Message of 10-02-2007
President's Message of 09-25-2007
President's Message of 09-17-2007
President's Message of 09-10-2007
President's Message of 09-02-2007
President's Message of 08-26-2007
President's Message of 08-19-2007
President's Message of 08-12-2007
President's Message of 08-05-2007
President's Message of 07-28-2007
President's Message of 07-20-2007
President's Message of 07-13-2007
President's Message of 07-05-2007
President's Message of 06-26-2007
President's Message of 06-21-2007
President's Message of 06-16-2007
President's Message of 06-09-2007
President's Message of 06-06-2007
President's Message of 05-28-2007
President's Message of 05-25-2007
President's Message of 05-19-2007
President's Message of 05-16-2007
President's Message of 05-05-2007
President's Message of 04-29-2007
President's Message of 04-22-2007
Here We "GROW"




 Increase Font Size  Decrease Font Size